SOL 3/13 Corned Beef and Cabbage Equals Love

  13 of 31 for the Slice of Life Challenge from Two Writing Teachers
When my husband and I were first married, we lived with my grandma to help save money.  I was in my last year of college and beginning student teaching, and my husband started a brand new job two weeks before our wedding.  It really made sense to do this.  While we cooked separately most of the time, from time to time grandma would cook for us all.  One of my favorite meals from my grandma was not a fancy one at all.  We always knew that March 17th meant a celebration of our Scots Irish roots.

Every March, Grandma would buy corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots at least a week in advance.  She was convinced that if she didn't do this, she would miss out on our St. Patrick's Day meal.  She would study each cut of meat, looking for the piece that had just the right amount of fat.   I always wondered why she went to so much trouble for a meal, but this meal always meant something special to her.  It meant memories of her own family and traditions.  It meant a shared meal with loved ones, even if it was just for one night.

Today, I carry on my grandma's tradition of preparing for St. Patrick's Day. I buy my corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots.  I will have it ready to go for my family (even if none of them particularly like the cabbage), and I will think of great times spent with my grandma.


Comments

  1. Like you, I have wonderful memories of my grandma and many of them revolve around food she cooked. Corned beef and cabbage always sounds so good to me. I've never actually had it. Enjoy you St. Patrick's dinner with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I have all the fixings ready to go for the dinner just like you! Looking forward to the tasty vittles!
    My grandma loved to cook for everyone-we went to her house almost every Sunday-eating the best food ever.
    Also, there's a blogger who's writing about her grandma every day-have you seen it?
    http://lilieslady.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 3/31 I Made It!

SOL 3/16 Plugging Away

SOL 3/6 What Makes You So Special?