SOL 3/9 Proud of my kids!

  9 of 31 for the Slice of Life Challenge from Two Writing Teachers
I've got to brag about my son.  Today was the regional math competition for 4th-6th grades, and my son once again went representing his school.  He was so happy to go again, and wasn't just the alternate like last year.  This year he earned a full spot and has been busy preparing for the contest for weeks.  His math club sponsors are wonderful and do such a great job getting them ready.  I truly appreciate their hard work.

He took two tests; one in math concepts and one in problem solving.  After he finished, he told me he thought he placed in problem solving, but concepts was hard this year.  

As it came time for the awards presentation,  I could see how nervous he was getting.  Last year he earned a 5th place, so his goal was to improve on that.  They presented the ribbons for concepts first, and several of his classmates did very well.  Next they called the winners for problem solving.  As they moved from 10th to 1st, he became more tense. What would he get? Would he place?  I assured him that I was proud of him for just going.  Winning would just be the icing on the cake.  They reached 3rd, then 2nd and he said "Well, maybe not this year."  Suddenly it was 1st place, and he was called.  The smile on his face was priceless.

My oldest won her StuCo election for 8th grade secretary, so she is pretty proud as well.  Overall I can't complain about my kids.  Some parents display sports trophies.  Our walls are filled with academic and service awards, and that is just fine with me!

Comments

  1. Congratulations to both of your children! It's a great day for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! You deserve to be proud of them. That's so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your kids! Isn't that a great feeling to watch them be happy and successful? Our house is filled with academic and music awards. Just like you, that's fine with me. Everyone should shine in whatever makes them happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me holding my breath, and then a little teary-eyed! Great writing!! Congrats to your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bragging mommy moments are allowed! I am sure he was tense when they start all the way down at 10!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 3/31 I Made It!

SOL 3/16 Plugging Away