SOL 3/4 Boys Need Their Mamas

  4 of 31 for the Slice of Life Challenge from Two Writing Teachers
I home with a sick boy today.  Is there anything  than more heartbreaking for a parent than watching your child feel crummy?  His poor eyes are glazed over, and he just wants to sit and cuddle with me, which is really saying something because he is 11!  I always feel so helpless when they are sick.

When my three kids were younger, I think it was easier to care for them when they didn't feel well.  I could give them medicine and cuddle with them,  Rocking them to sleep often worked wonders.  Now that my kids are all teens/preteens, they refuse to take medicine (unless it is their idea) and are too big to cuddle with and rock to sleep.  I feel that I can't really do anything to help them feel better, and they really are making their own choices about what they need.  I hate to watch them suffer when they could do something about it, but I am no longer in control...maybe that is why I feel so miserable when they are sick.  Control is out of my hands now.   It is hard to give up that control element I guess.  I should get used to it...soon they will be out of the house and on their own...wow.  That is more scary than thinking about sick kids!

Today, I am relishing the fact that my son needs me and wants to cuddle.  Today I will do everything I can to make sure he feels better.  Soon he won't need his mama anymore.  But today, he does, and I'm okay with that.

Comments

  1. I agree...there is nothing worse than watching your child suffer. Take good care of him...he may not always need you in the same way, but he will remember how you cared for and comforted him....as will you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole control thing is SOOO hard. You want them to be independent and make great choices but it's hard to step back and let them learn how, isn't it? I also really appreciate the differences between big sick kids and little sick kids. Thanks for writing about it. It was fin to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all will always need Mommy at least a little - especially when we're sick. This reminded me of a time when my mom drove 3 hours to spend the night in my dorm room because I was so miserable. No matter what medicines we take, Momma's love always make it better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Today, I am relishing the fact that my son needs me and wants to cuddle." Yes, you should! These years are all too brief! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry your son is sick. Losing that control is very hard (especially when a bandaid won't fix it anymore). Just remember, the foundation has been laid. Kids always need their moms. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 3/31 I Made It!

SOL 3/16 Plugging Away

SOL 3/6 What Makes You So Special?