SOL 3/23 Procrastination

 23 of 31 for the Slice of Life Challenge from Two Writing Teachers
Do you know any procrastinators? The people who know have a big deadline coming up and still haven't started that piece of work that has to be finished on time? I've met more than my share. In fact, depending on the task, I'm one of them. Certain chores and tasks are so unappealing that I'd rather do anything than what I need to do. I've been known to clean my entire house and closets and the garage instead of writing a paper for my Masters or grading 8th grade research papers.  My own kids and students definitely fit into this mold and got me thinking. What are the stages of procrastination?  Can someone tell when it really is time to get busy? Can procrastination be put into stages like grief?  I'm not really sure.  I know that there comes a time that procrastinators kick it in gear to finish that project. For me, it is usually after every other possible task on the honey-do list has been conquered.  But at least I have a clean house, right?  Well, at least until the kids wake up. 








Comments

  1. Thanks for the great post. I am a procrastinator from a long line of procrastinators who produced a few procrastinators. There is no cure...no solution and I suspect no set way to fix the problem! Accept who you are...we DO what we are passionate about doing in a timely manner...the rest...gets done...under PRESSURE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, my mom and I had a great conversation about this yesterday... Working best under pressure, or is it simply that as working moms we need to prioritize, and sometimes just sometimes we need to do a little something for ourselves... Enjoy your weekend and don't stress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do I know some of these people-- I AM one of these people. Today, our first day of spring break, we have eight inches of snow and more is falling. I am determined to finish my taxes, which I wrote about starting two weeks ago on my Slice. Unfortunately, I don't clean house, or organize things when I procrastinate. I usually read! Wish I was more like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big procrastinator also. There are so many other things I would rather be doing and it usually involves reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The upside of procrastination--I get so much accomplished. It's amazing what I can do when I'm putting off grading those 8th grade research papers. I'm learning to accept that some things won't get done until I have the pressure of a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the queen of procrastination. I LOVE your last part...until the kids get up. So, so true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 3/31 I Made It!

SOL 3/16 Plugging Away

SOL 3/9 Proud of my kids!