SOL 3/28 Is It Cheating?



On Monday, my students and I had a discussion about slicing.  I offered my students the chance to slice this month, and am very pleased that a few took me up on it (offering prizes must have helped!)  I had a couple turn in their slices because they had finished 31 entries and felt they were done.  I myself have scheduled slices to go out a few days ahead when I felt inspiration hit and could write more than one entry in a day.  But is that cheating?  That was the question.

I don't think it is cheating to write and schedule ahead.  For me, I feel much more at ease to write my posts and know that they are done for the day.  I can log in and link up my slice before school, and then I know that I can go about my day without worrying about getting it done.  I also have started a post, and then felt I needed to step away for a day or two.  Sometimes having that little break brings clarity. I can refocus what I was trying to say.  Sometimes I have several ideas swirling around in my head, and just need to get them down somewhere.  I have a paper journal, but I haven't used it as much as I planned to do.  I can't even really state why either.  It is definitely more portable than this laptop!  Blogging from my phone and tablet is mighty convenient though, and I love having the option to do that!

Are you a planner?  Do you schedule posts to go out ahead of time?  Or are you like my students and feel that each day should have its own entry and time spent on it alone?  I think that either way is fine, as long as the writing gets done!

Comments

  1. Sarah, I love this post as my students and I had this ci conversation during the challenge. If you read advice from any author, they will say WRITE EVERY DAY -as a class we really discussed the purpose of the challenge before we embarked on this journey and they were:
    - to write a slice story every day and to create the habit if writing every day
    - to live life differently in that every day you are noticing something thatt is worthy to write about
    - to comment on each others work to strengthen our community of writers

    Therefore, they decided for thus challenge that yes a post needed to be written every single day... Do I think planning ahead is any less note worthy? Not at all, I just thunk it needs to resonate with what your goals and objectives were in doing the challenge with your students!

    Such great discussions with our students, I love it!!!

    Take care and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps here's the issue with writing on your phone.... Too many spelling mistakes and auto correct! Please excuse the poor mechanics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the discussion. I have usually taken one post a day, but several posts have taken more than one day to write. The most I've scheduled ahead is one day (when I know I will be on the road and find it difficult to connect). Who is to say if your students schedule ahead that they are not still writing or thinking about writing as they go along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often write a day ahead...sometimes fueled by my reading and thinking and reflecting but sometimes, I change my plans too and rewrite or post a totally new post. I love that I feel like a REAL writer when I abandon a line of writing that is not taking form as I would have liked. I suspect real writers write and save, write ahead and rewrite just like the rest of us wannabes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 3/31 I Made It!

SOL 3/16 Plugging Away

SOL 3/9 Proud of my kids!