SOL 3/22 Why Do They Have To Be That Way?

 22 of 31 for the Slice of Life Challenge from Two Writing Teachers

I was gone Tuesday for a school field trip. A select few students went to the literature festival and had a  great time.  Just like always, I left very detailed lesson plans and warnings of who to watch out for, who to rely on as the helpers.  My classes have not had a great track record when it comes to subs, so I always leave PLENTY of work for the students to complete.  This day in particular was MAP review...which is coming up way too fast. I'm sure they were completely engrossed. For the most part I don't worry about my 7th graders.  They do okay.  My 8th graders however...they are whole other story.

I purposely did not go into the school when the bus arrived home at 5 pm on Tuesday night.  I did not want to see the note that the sub left on my desk.  I did not want to face the news that it was a bad day again.  The track record...it haunts me.  Instead, I went home and watched Dancing with the Stars, and pretended life was peachy.  I knew that I would see it soon enough.

Sure enough, Wednesday morning I walked into my classroom and found the note.  The usual suspects were named.  Yep, could of guessed that one.  Oh, told you he'd do that.  I'm glad that student was absent.  It made that hour much less of a worry. But the best part of the note came with my last class, the class that I have struggled with all year.  "Complete chaos by 2:30"...this group fell apart completely.

This group...I'm frustrated beyond belief. The class that was horrible the day that the principal came to observe.  They have no fear.  They care about nothing.  Juvenile delinquents have nothing on this group.  Heck, this group probably has a couple JDs in their midst.  This is the same group of kids I had in my last hour class last year.  Maybe that is where some resentment and frustration lies. I'm not sure...I know that this group has challenged me to research classroom management articles.  I try to be as consistent as possible.  Consistency is key with this group.  I use the BIST strategies that I've been taught, even though BIST isn't consistent in my building.  Some use it well, and others don't bother.

I am tired of the lectures, because they obviously don't work. I'm tired of writing office referrals for those who can't control their behavior.  I'm tired of asking for apology letters to send to subs, because of hateful comments made.  What can I do to convince this group that their behavior is creating a reputation for next year in high school?

Have you had groups like this? Groups that can't be left, can't be trusted to be appropriate for one day?
What strategies have you used?  I have even gone so far as to ask the principal/ VP to come in to this hour when I'm gone.  I don't want subs to feel that they can't handle it...I'm not saying that all.  I don't want them to go home and be defeated because of one group.  No one needs that.  I need your help teacher friends...please send me suggestions.  I am tired.




Comments

  1. I have had classes like what you described. They can't handle change. These are the same kids that lose it before a break or holiday. They crave the consistency and structure you provide them. Anytime there is a sub they run amok.

    I do not know the answer of how to get them to behave. Just out of curiosity you might have them write about their behavior. You might point out that their behavior was a form of bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take heart. Sometimes it is just that way, especially with students of a certain age! I an see by your touching prior post of poetry that you know why students in your class make the choices they do. Factors beyond our control, and beyond our knowledge influence students behavior. You provide firm, fair and consistent expectations. They make a poor choice. There is a consequence. I never had much success sending kids out, nor as an administrator was I able to create the change in students behavior I wanted. Gather several of these students into a class and it's tough going. We can't take our students behavior personally.
    I remember an old adage,"don't smile until thanksgiving ", and I think that with some classes, that's true. We want to Be friendly and kind, but sometimes we have to be professional. Not mean, not yelling, but businesslike and somewhat impersonal. Some kiddos just know how to push buttons, and they distract us enough so we feed their need for any attention, even negative.
    Good luck. They are responsible for their choices, not you. Don't feel guilty when you are out, but kid proof the room like crazy. This is a tough profession and I admire you for your dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe when classes are formed, we need to consider putting the toughest ones earlier in the day? One school in which I worked rotated the hours so that teachers did not have the same kids first or last thing every day. I was amazed at the difference. Whichever group came in after lunch was always WIRED. That same group could be hardworking and even loving in the morning but tired and trying by late afternoon. Rotating schedules helped to take the edge off and allowed us to see the best in almost every student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sense your frustration. We all need a break and it is hard to take a break when we feel we will come back to impending chaos. I have been there. In those situations, making my class and routines as predictable as possible helped. It also helped me to recognize strengths and gifts in each child in the classroom and to let them know what I see. My best to you as you continue to find ways to best meet your students needs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 3/31 I Made It!

SOL 3/16 Plugging Away

SOL 3/6 What Makes You So Special?